Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Weights for EZ-Up tent
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:25 pm 

Anyone have economical ways to weigh down an EZ Up tent?
I stake the poles and use sand bags, but I suspect they might be insufficient in high wind situations. I would want to blow away.
Thanks.

janddrich1@yahoo.com
Memphis, Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:08 pm 

I use four bags of salt that I bought at Menards. The bags are a thick plastic (that I have reinforced with duct tape as needed) and have very sturdy plastic carrying handles. I cover each bag with a pillowcase (that coordinates with my display colors) that has a slit cut at the top. I then run a webbing strap from the top of the tent corner down through the bag handle and then back up (ok, I also wind around each leg). Basically this results in the entire tent being pulled down very solidly with 160 pounds (4 x 40#). I know plenty of people have complained about EZ-Ups blowing away, but mine has stayed put through some pretty severe thunderstorms. I actually always use the salt bags, even on grass.

"Without problems that test the limits of your abilities, you will not expand them."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:51 pm 

I bought the EZup weight bags and filled them with 40Lbs each of garden rocks. That gives me 160 lbs of weight on the legs. I've been in many shows where the wind was really bad, and saw several canopies (including the "top end" brands) come down, but not mine. Just keepthe weights as close to the ground as possible.

Post subject: Tent weights for EZ-Up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 pm 

We’ve been hearing about ez-weights for a while now that use water so you can save on gas. They’re going for about 200 bucks which is a bit more than we wanted to pay for weights seeing how that’s about what we paid for our tent. But after doing a show in Chicago and talking to this guy who had been using them we were convinced they were the real deal. We ordered a set on line [ez-weights.com] and we’re glad we did. It turns out the next show my husband and I did had a real bad thunder storm with some strong wind squalls that trashed a couple of tents next to ours. Our tent shook a bit and some water came in through our roof but the tent didn’t move! I guess it‘s true that you get what you pay for. 8)

Post subject: Re: Weights for EZ-Up tent
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:11 am 

EZup weight bags is good actually for camping site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:29 am 

I awning anniversary bag with a bedding (that coordinates with my affectation colors) that has a aperture cut at the top. I again run a fiber band from the top of the covering bend down through the bag handle and again aback up (ok, I aswell wind about anniversary leg). Basically this after-effects in the absolute covering getting pulled down actual absolutely with 160 pounds (4 x 40#).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am 

Another economical weight system is 5-gallon plastic buckets with lids. You can either find free ones (contractors, food service, etc) or buy at your local or big box hardware store. Carry them empty and fill on site. I saw these used at a show by a company renting canopies. I believe water is 10lbs per gallon - 4 x 50 is 200lbs. Either tie off on the bucket handles or wrap around the bucket and then tie off to the top.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:56 pm 

Second hand dumbells. We have a franchise locally "play it again sports" that sells cast iron dumbells quite cheap. 35 or 40 pounders do quite nicely. Add a bit of nylon strapping to connect them to the frame and you are good to go. They are nice and compact, stow easily and the handle is easy to connect to.

Post subject: Re: Tent weights for EZ-Up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm 

EZ Weights are also designed to add structure/strength to your leggs. For trimlines, etc, it may be not as neccesary, but with EZ Up tents, all the additional support works well. I too attended a full season with my rig and witnessed both EZ Up and a couple of higher line tents either blow in the wind, or do the 'twist and colapse'. Very happy and couldn't recomend them any stronger!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]