Change font size
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Trimline or LightDome?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:11 pm 

My EZ-UP is wearing out after five seasons but I got my money's worth out of it ($189 at BJ's).

Since I intend to stay on the outdoor circuit I am looking to upgrade to something more substantial. Plus it need to be waterproof.

I've narrowed my selection down to a Trimline or LightDome.

I would appreciate feedback from forum members as to their preference and including remarks on ease of setup, and durability, etc. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Trimline or LightDome?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:14 pm 

I'm going to be in the same predictament as having to replace my EZ-Up (been a good tent). I bought mesh panels for my set-up through Flourish.com and I will go back to them for their Trimline when I make the change. When working with Flourish I found them to be very knowledgable about what I needed, no more/no less. I've called them a couple of times and when calling they are there to answer any questions and offer you help. Not knowing anything about LightDome I can't say one way or the other. My next tent will be the "dome" from Trimline that will match my mesh panels bought through Flourish.
Happy Sales! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:25 pm 

I went ahead and purchased the light dome a month ago and used it for the first time last weekend in Atlanta. I chose the lightdome mainly because of the weight since I will have to set up by myself at times. It was easy to assemble and withstood some light rain overnight. It is completely waterproof. I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm 

Curious? Did you price them both? Were they close in price? Easy 1-man set up? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm 

We absolutely LOVE our Trimline. Folks at the company are very helpful in getting you started and helping you figure out what you need, too.
We've used it at shows for one full year now (9 shows) and it still performs great. I would recommend color-coding the poles (where they attach to each other) to speed up your setup though. It goes a lot faster that way.
We've been in 40mph winds, rain, 90 degree sunny days, and one show where we had rain that turned to a 1/4" coating of ice on the canopy overnight and then was an 85 degree sunny day the next day. The canopy has been completely waterproof and dealt with everything just fine. I would recommend getting the "Sta-bar kit" which is basically poles that go around the bottom of the canopy for extra support. This really helps out in winds and just in making the canopy more stable.
I did see a Trimline at a show that was starting to get a bit yellowed (just barely), so I asked the vendor about it, since I was worried about ours getting that way. He said his was 15 years old, and it hadn't started to change color until the last couple of years..
Haven't heard much about the Lightdome.
MJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 am 

Have you looked at the Show Off? One thing to think about - if a part of the frame gets damaged, you can have them replaced easily. You don't have to buy an entire new booth frame. We were in a show where a major storm came in... One Show Off was picked up by the wind - carried upside down and landed on it's top in the middle of the aisle about 10 spaces from it's original location. It had a bent rafter pole (easy fix) Top was in perfect condition. The rest looked like Freddie Kruger had a field day on the canopy tops... We had a Show Off - had a broken corner where it was tied to a tree and twisted (minor replacement part). Every Show Off that rode out that storm was up and running - tops were in great shape. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 am 

I also wanted to say that the Show Off is light-weight. Heavy gauge Aluminum frame - frame weighs 35 pounds - the canopy about the same. I did many shows by myself at 50 and am a woman... I could set the booth up with no help. I could carry the weight of the booth. Check it out... Cheryl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 am 

SOSA25 wrote:
We were in a show where a major storm came in... One Show Off was picked up by the wind - carried upside down and landed on it's top in the middle of the aisle about 10 spaces from it's original location. It had a bent rafter pole (easy fix) Top was in perfect condition. The rest looked like Freddie Kruger had a field day on the canopy tops... We had a Show Off - had a broken corner where it was tied to a tree and twisted (minor replacement part). Every Show Off that rode out that storm was up and running - tops were in great shape. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Cheryl

Same thing happened to us last year. A storm came in and the cheap canopies as well as a new Craft Hut were destroyed. But like you, my old KD Canopy flipped upside down and when I got there on Sunday morning it looked like a puppy with it's legs up in the air wanting his belly scratched. So I just uprighted it and put it back in the space. And like you, all I had was a minor bent leg, which I straightened out right there.
That was the only time in over 23 years I had it that it flipped. It pulled out 3 dog screws, so the wind must have been blowing pretty good.

So there are indeed other great brands of canopies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am 

My advice- purchase a Showoff. After research and speaking to lots of artists I bought one and am very happy with the design and strength. I can put it up on my own. It has a high dome ceiling, adjustable legs and is professional.
When a strong wind blew by on one show my canopy was still standing while others around me had tangled frames, the best testament in my book :).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]